It is never too early or late to start preparing for your next medical examination. After all, making positive lifestyle changes reflects in your short and long-term health; any time is the right time! If you have recently had an exam that didn’t go so well, you are probably feeling pressured to make changes. Stop looking at it as this monumental task that you have to do, and make it something you want to do. You will feel better, and you will even get better life insurance rates.
Address Your Diet
Food choices are often at the root of most health problems. Your body needs healthy nutrients. When it is deprived, it isn’t able to do its job as effectively. Of course, poor food choices can result in obesity. This can cause a long list of ailments, including diabetes, heart disease, stroke, gallbladder disease, high blood pressure, gout, osteoarthritis and breathing problems.
Many people find exercises to be a dirty little word, so you need to just get active! There is a reason why when you call for a life insurance comparison, you are asked if you exercise regularly; it’s because it’s important! Some people feel that they don’t have to exercise if they are not overweight. This couldn’t be more incorrect. Regular exercise doesn’t only make you look better; it helps you feel better, and makes you healthier.
Understand that your heart needs to be exercised, and the only way you can do that is through physical activity. Commit to at least power-walking every day. It is an effective act that you can do anywhere for free and with minimal equipment, yet it provides profound results.
While you may feel a little stressed requesting life insurance quotes online, this isn’t a feeling that should linger. Stress is one of the worse things for your health; so until you learn to control it, you will never achieve optimal health. There are plenty of things you can do to relieve stress too. Once again, walking helps! When you exercise, your body produces endorphins, which makes you feel good mentally and physically. Meditation and yoga both help to control stress exceptionally well too.
Acing Your Medical Exam
If you have to take a medical exam to find out what your life insurance rates will be, or if you will even be approved, there are things you can do to help pass with flying colors.
- Remove Nail Polish – When checking for skin cancer, discolorations are explored, which includes your nail beds. Skip the polish for a while.
- Skip Coffee and Jewelry – If you happen to be getting an MRI done, you will have to lie still for at least 30 minutes or longer. This isn’t so easy to do if you just drank a coffee. Also, jewelry interferes with the picture.
- Skip Breakfast – If you eat before your appointment, your triglycerides will peak. When a cholesterol test is given, this peak could signify medication or an unhealthy diet.
- Carb-load – Those needing a glucose tolerance test are often tempted to eliminate carbs altogether, but believe it or not, this can actually cause a spike in your blood sugar. You should eat healthy grains for three days prior. Carb-loading is something runners do a few days before a long race so their body will produce energy for a longer period of time. Carb-loading does not mean eating a pizza and other snacks the night before.
- Breathe Deeply – Are you having a blood test? If you are like many others, there is a good chance your blood pressure raises just going to the doctor. Take five deep breaths before the test.
Although all these things will help you achieve better results for your health insurance comparison, they are not a replacement for changing your lifestyle. A proper diet, exercise and managing stress are all important to your long-term health.
Guest Author: Michael James is a New York-based blogger with over 10 years of writing experience. Recent assignments include blogging about his love for Shiba Inus and writing about free life insurance quotes