Does your face become oily and greasy after a couple of hours of washing it? If so, then your skin type is oily i.e. the skin’s sebaceous glands excrete more oil leading to a shiny and oily face. In addition, there are other factors that add to your skin’s oily nature. These include hot or humid weather, hormone levels, your diet and even the cosmetics you use. Oily skin is usually very sensitive and prone to breakouts.
Exercise, with all its benefits for your body and system, may prove to be detrimental for your skin. During exercise, you may experience swollen, red or irritated skin. Additionally, there may seem to be like a plastic mask enveloping your face which is actually all the acids and salts secreted from your skin during exercise that get mixed with oil and dead skin cells.
Though there is no absolute cure to prevent oily skin (outside of perhaps some collagen application), there are ways through which you can reduce the oiliness of your skin during exercising or during any other outdoor activity.
Tips to reduce oily skin
1. Always keep wet towels, ice bags and water handy with you. While you exercise, wipe your face with these. This will remove the oil and refresh your skin.
2. After exercising, wash your face immediately with a good face wash. Soaps are harsh on the facial skin and therefore, they are not recommended for washing the face.
3. Apply an oil-free sunscreen cream or moisturizer to keep your skin nourished and oil-free.
4. You can use a hydrating mask or a clay or mud on your face regularly.
5. Wash your hair regularly as it leads to oily skin when they fall on your face.
6. Always wear a hat or a cap during outdoor activities.
7. Wash your face twice or three times a day, not more than that. Washing the face too frequently can make the glands more active and thereby, produce more oil.
8. Exfoliate your skin with a deep-clean exfoliating scrub once in a week. It produces great results but one should indulge in frequent exfoliation.
9. Use products that suit your skin. If you are not sure, it is best to consult a dermatologist. Never buy anything off the counter. Oily skin is very sensitive and using products randomly will only harm your skin further.
10. A good astringent is an effective way to reduce oil. Make sure it has acetone when you are buying one.
11. Apply only water-based cosmetics on your face and neck. As mentioned earlier, oily skin is prone to sensitivity and cream-based cosmetics will only make it worse.
12. Concentrate on your diet and make changes, if required. Have low-fat and protein-rich food. Avoid carbonated drinks and too oily or spicy food. Fresh fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts are all good for your oily skin.
Though the anatomy of an oily skin cannot be changed, you can follow these tips to control it. In addition, you can also try sports nutrition and other protein-rich diet supplements to take care of your skin.