In today’s fast moving world, it is very important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Nutritive eating habits and daily exercise contribute to the good health of an individual. Walking is the basic and one of the best forms of exercises. One should start walking at a gentle pace for a few minutes and then at the optimal pace that he/she is used to. Walking benefits the human body in the following ways:
Health Benefits of Walking
- Walking is a good workout for the beginner.
- Walking is a light weight -bearing exercise.
- Walking is good for the heart.
- It is known to burn fats in the body.
- Walking at a steady pace for a minimum of three quarters of an hour and six days a week helps in shedding excess weight of the body and tones it.
- Speedy regular walking contributes to the strengthening of one’s muscles.
- It increases the body stamina.
- Walking daily for a good part of an hour helps in the prevention of type-2 diabetes and/ or maintains/controls the sugar levels in the body.
- Breast cancer can also be prevented.
- Walking daily can help in the reduction of the blood pressure and in the improvement of the blood circulation.
- Walking aids in the strengthening of the bones. The bone density is improved and the process of bone-loss is slowed down.
- There is improvement in the functioning of the legs and hips as well as that of the spinal cord. Walking enhances the overall cardio vascular functions.
- Regular walking has been known to reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Walking has been considered by many as one of the most effective stress busters. It perks up the psychological condition of the mind.
- It is best to walk outdoors in the early morning, as the refreshing, relatively unpolluted air works wonders in pepping up one’s spirits and frame of mind.
Health Benefits of Jogging
Jogging is also a good exercise to keep diseases at bay. It is necessary to do a warm-up before starting to jog; like walking rigorously for a minute, then jumping a few times, doing leg-stretches and some sit-ups. After that, one can start to jog, but at a comfortably slow pace for the first couple of minutes and then gradually increase speed to reach his/ her best possible pace. Keeping your legs slightly bent, remember to distribute the weight of your body evenly on your feet, starting stepping from heels to toes. Inhalation through the nose and exhalation through the mouth; body straight; arms and legs bent a little; relaxed neck, shoulders, arms and fingers –all these must be carefully maintained while jogging and one must not overdo it.
- Jogging keeps aging at bay.
- Jogging is a weight -bearing exercise; hence those with weak knees and joints should avoid it altogether or perform it lightly.
- It prevents obesity.
- Jogging increases the levels of the heart beats which helps in the circulation of blood within the body. It increases the metabolism of the body.
- Half an hour of jogging is equivalent to performing two hours of any other aerobic exercises.
- Jogging regularly is beneficial in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
- It helps to prevent neurological diseases.
- It helps to ward off stress.
- Jogging can help to prevent the occurrence of cancer because there is lesser risk of cells mutating; thanks to the adequate oxygen provided to all parts of the body because of the jogging motion.
- Most of the body muscles work while jogging.
- Jogging helps to sleep fitfully.
In addition, jogging gives all the benefits associated with walking. It has been many a time observed that people keep their earphones plugged- in, while walking or jogging. This is not at all advisable because then, the oxygen- flow to the lungs is obstructed. One must expose the ears to the fresh air.
As compared to jogging or running, walking is considered to be safe; especially in the advanced ages, because then there is lesser load on the knees and joints, leading to lower probabilities of injuries and fractures.
Author Bio: The Doctor’s Health Press publishes monthly newsletters and e-bulletins on a wide range of health topics and breakthroughs in health, focusing on natural and alternative medicines. It is the health publishing division of Lombardi Publishing Corporation.