Many people suffer with dry eye syndrome during exercise and this occurs when the eyes do not make enough tears or if the tears evaporate too quickly because the oil glands are blocked. This can then lead to the eyes drying out and becoming inflamed, swollen and irritated which can be painful and uncomfortable if you enjoy sports such as running or cycling outside.
The symptoms of a dry eye syndrome aren’t easy to miss as the symptoms can be anything ranging from:
- Blurred vision
- Or the feeling of having something in your eye
If you enjoy exercising then this symptom can be brought on due to hot or windy climates but there are also other areas that can provoke the condition and this can be anything from hormonal change to side effects from medicines.
There are a few steps you can take into controlling the condition in your eyes and one of the most obvious steps is to visit your doctor who will diagnose whether the symptoms are mild or severe. They can then prescribe you medicine or if it is a severe case then you can undergo surgery to block to drainage tear ducts which is a straight forward and easy procedure.
If you want to try a few steps to see if you can prevent the condition from developing any further on your own then there are a few procedures that you can take which may help with your discomfort and these steps are:
How to Prevent Dry Eyes
- Avoid climate changes in the home such as sitting directly in front of air conditioning or a hot fire as this can dry your eyes out even more.
- Eat a healthy diet which is high in omega-3 fats and flaxseed oil and these can be found in foods such as mackerel, salmon, sardines, herring and tuna.
- Don’t use eye make-up such as mascara and eye liner as this can block up your eye glands.
- Avoid smokey environments and if you do smoke try to stop as this can provoke your condition even further.
- Try using an OCT Systane PM Ointment to use on your eyes before exercising but it is advisable to check with your doctors before using any medication on your eyes.
- Keep your eyes and eyelids clean at all times by massaging them gently around the eyelids.
- Protect your eyes from the environment which can be doing through wearing sunglasses on a sunny day or wrap around glasses for windy days as this will also protect your eyes from sweat whilst running or cycling or doing any other form of sports.
What many people don’t realize is you can inquire about getting specially made glasses for you which are called “moisture chamber spectacles”. Although these may not be the most attractive items to sport they are great to help retain moisture and to protect your eyes from irritants, and if you are a huge fan of exercising outside these can be the key accessory to protecting your eyes from discomfort.